There are many great reasons to consider having the siding on your house replaced. These range from saving you money on your utility bills to having more pride in your home every day when you pull up the driveway. No matter why you’re thinking about having your residence sided, there are some important questions you should ask every siding contractor you’re considering. These are detailed below.
- How many years of experience do you have? – Because improperly installed siding can lead to a host of issues down the road, including mold infestations and rotten wall studs, it is essential to make sure you work with an experienced contractor who has spent at least a few years doing siding jobs. It is also critical to find out how much experience everyone working on your project has. You want to make sure it isn’t just the lead contractor who knows what he or she is doing, even subcontractors who may be called in.
- Can you install James Hardie siding? – The James Hardie company’s fiber cement siding is fast becoming one of the industry’s most popular options. It’s eco-friendliness, and durability is appealing to homeowners in all areas of the country. However, contractors have to undergo a certification process to install James Hardie materials. If you’re interested in buying this kind of siding, you need to make sure your contractor has been cleared to install it ahead of time.
- What are your payment policies? – No two contracting companies have exactly the same payment policies. It’s a good idea to find out what will be expected of you before you sign on the dotted line. Some contractors, for instance, offer financing options, while others expect to be paid-in-full by the time jobs are completed.
- Are any warranties available? – Not all siding contractors offer warranty options, but some do. If you want to make sure your new siding is covered if any problems arise, ask your contractor if you can purchase a warranty or if any guarantees are offered at no charge.
- Do you have licenses and insurance? – Most home renovation professionals, including siding contractors, are required to carry certain insurance policies and have particular business licenses. Find out precisely what regulations your municipality has, then ask your contractor to show you proof of coverage. Reputable professionals will be happy to oblige.
- Do you have references? – Another thing any reliable contractor will be happy to do is to provide you with references’ phone numbers. They understand how important word-of-mouth recommendations can be and know that talking to past clients just might lead you to decide to hire them.
These are generic questions that are meant to get your conversations with local contractors started. You should also make any inquiries that pertain to your specific job. Our team of experts has spent years working with families just like yours and look forward to making sure your project exceeds all of your expectations.
Subscribe to Advanced Roofing and Siding's Blog